Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Autobiography of a Face PDF

Autobiography of a Face PDF PDF Downlaod

All About Autobiography of a Face PDF

"I spent five years of my life being treated for cancer, but since then I've spent fifteen years being treated for nothing other than looking different from everyone else. It was the pain from that, from feeling ugly, that I always viewed as the great tragedy of my life. The fact that I had cancer seemed minor in comparison."

At age nine, Lucy Grealy was diagnosed with a potentially terminal cancer. When she returned to school with a third of her jaw removed, she faced the cruel taunts of classmates. In this strikingly candid memoir, Grealy tells her story of great suffering and remarkable strength without sentimentality and with considerable wit. Vividly portraying the pain of peer rejection and the guilty pleasures of wanting to be special, Grealy captures with unique insight what it is like as a child and young adult to be torn between two warring impulses: to feel that more than anything else we want to be loved for who we are, while wishing desperately and secretly to be perfect.

Autobiography of a Face PDF Details:

  • Amazon Sales Rank: #35715 in Books
  • Published on: 2003-03-18
  • Released on: 2003-03-18
  • Original language: English
  • Number of items: 1
  • Binding: Paperback
  • 236 pages

Other Free PDF Books:
Breast Cancer Breakthroughs: Living Longer ( Edition:2012) (Breast Cancer Breakthroughs: Living Longer (2012)) PDF
There's No Place Like Hope: A Guide to Beating Cancer in Mind-sized Bites PDF
Final Journey-Buddys' Book (Sequel to Finally Home) PDF
Food Rules: A Doctor's Guide to Healthy Eating PDF
The Cure for All Cancers: Including over 100 Case Histories of Persons Cured PDF
Cancer: Medical Triumph with Self-Oxygenation Therapies (Advanced Cancer Treatment) PDF
The Middle Place PDF
Crazy Sexy Cancer Survivor: More Rebellion and Fire for Your Healing Journey PDF
World Without Cancer: The Story of Vitamin B17 PDF
3mph: The Adventures of One Woman's Walk Around the World PDF

Customer Review:

Most helpful customer reviews

90 of 97 people found the following review helpful.
5Hard to process it all
By Peggy Vincent
When this book came out, it created a sensation, not just for the raw facts of Lucy Grealy's ordeal but even more for the lyrical, insightful point of view from which it was written. Diagnosed at 9 years of age with Ewing's sarcoma, a potentially fatal cancer that attacked her lower jaw, she underwent disfiguring surgery and horrific chemo and radiation that further distorted her appearance. She used, in this memoir, her experience as a springboard from which to soar into passionate examinations of the meaning of truth, beauty, genius, love - all those biggies - and she did it with stunning success. Her background as a poet shines through each paragraph of this seminal book.

But.

Then she died, and although her death was ruled accidental, it's clear she had been on a steady downward spiral through the last couple of years of her life. Ann Patchett's stunning and conflicted story of her 20-year friendship with Grealy (Truth and Beauty) uncovers the raw underbelly of Lucy Grealy's personality, her unending quest to be special, first, best, and most of all, lovable.

To get a fuller picture, one that I feel still isn't quite complete, of this quixotic individual, it's imperative that readers of Grealy's book also read Patchett's.

55 of 58 people found the following review helpful.
5Understanding for the Young
By A Customer
I am twelve. We had to read an autobiography for an assignment in literature, I don't like that kind of book. When I emersed myself in this book I never imagined I wouldn't come up for air. I guess, as a twelve year old, I never understood the effects and after effects of camcer. I thought I would just read it and do the report. But I did not expect to finish the book and to look around a different way. I hope that I don't forget the lessons sealed inside this book, and that through my adolescents I realize beauty isn't everything. I recomend this book for older readers, it was easy to read but tough to understand. Though my understanding reached further than I ever thought possible. Read this Please!

34 of 35 people found the following review helpful.
5I had Ewing's sarcoma & related to Lucy feeling all alone.
By carrianne@hotmail.com
I read Lucy's book several years ago, all in one day. Her words, feelings, and thoughts captured my attention, as I fully understood her battle with cancer. I had Ewing's of the pelvis when I was 15, and there weren't any books that I read back then where the person lived at the end. How utterly depressing, since we are proof that you can survive cancer!

I greatly appreciated the way in which Lucy described what it felt like during chemo treatments and surgeries, because her interpretation is not glossed over. There is no real way to describe the experience except to go through it for yourself to really understand it, but Lucy's words came very close! One day, I wish to write my own novel describing my struggle with cancer as an adolescent.

I'd also love to talk with Lucy, one survivor to another, if possible.

See all 124 customer reviews...
Autobiography of a Face PDF PDF Download

No comments:

Post a Comment